PHEW. Goodbye Chi-Town...
...hello sweet California.
I may be singing a different tune after a year or two, but from where I am right now, I'm not convinced I'll ever get used to how SWEET it smells here ALL THE TIME.
Irises already there to greet me
Our Lisbon lemon tree
And the lemon flower is sweet
Chicago usually smells like asphalt and diesel. I'm not saying you never get a whiff of freshly mown grass, or sparkling lake air, or petrichor. I'm just saying it doesn't happen all day, every day (even e.g. December 3rd, from what I hear).
~~~
All things told, the drive was not so bad. The road trips in my most recent memory all involved 10-12 hour days, so 8 hours per day was refreshing. Even if it was 4 of them in a row.
We saw planes and trains,
Mr. Lincoln,
some fallen snow,
some falling snow (which was actually a huge problem),
storms gathering,
surreal, other-worldly saltscapes,
postcard-worthy scenes,
downright Windows-desktop-lookin' postcard-worthy scenes,
and we even picked up a hitchhiker (all the way from Nebraska to Sunnyvale).
(shhh, don't tell the CDFA)
And now I live in a gorgeous house...
...that TOTALLY DOESN'T still look like this everywhere but in the carefully framed photo above I SWEAR.
~~~
Thanks to Granny Annie for all the wonderful photographic evidence of this adventure!














No comments:
Post a Comment