Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Why not?

It's the 100th post at BabyBugTrofatter!  To celebrate, introducing the actual reason for the recent paucity of posts, Bento Baby, due December 10. 

May 8 - 9 week ultrasound (hollow circle is the yolk sack, still)

Looks like a tiny gummi bear to me

I cannot remember ever being this tired in my entire life.  More tired than the flopsy crash naps of childhood, more than hiking 12 miles and falling on the trail in protest of the final stretch, more than my mononucleosis haze of 1999, more than any ill-advised Mrs-Goodpasture-paper-fueled all-nighter, more than the ludicrous "4 finals over 2 days and I haven't read for 2 of the classes in 7 weeks" cramfest weeks in college, more than any stretch of grad school, more than European jetlag, more even than the brain-pudding exhaustion of the hours, days and weeks immediately post-Moss.  

This is the real deal.  I need 5 naps per day, Moss needs 1 or 2.  Does not compute.  It's helping me be the laid-back parent I want to be, though...  "Hmm.  How bad would it be if he pulled that/chewed on that/climbed that/played with that?  Would it be worse than the idea of getting up and going over there and preventing it?"  (A: very often "not that bad" and "no")  Cords, sharp grass seeds, the oven door, and the dog water bowl warrant intervention.  Shoelaces, dried leaves, the refrigerator door, and dog toys?  Not so much.

And yet I've been told that my current state pales in contrast to how tired I will be one year from now.  Apparently one experiences some amount of shock at the scale of tiredness that exists in the universe when one has "two under 2".

Survival mode.  Let's do it.

~~~
March 30, 7am:
Calla: ...
Ben:  zzz
Calla:  Hey.
Ben:  zzzmrmrfmrmf
Calla:  Hey, do you think it's too soon to have another kid?
Ben:  Mmm.  I don't know.  Probably.       zzz--      ...      !!      Wait.  Why?

~~~
First reactions varied from disbelief to good-hearted ribbing--

Ben's mom:  Hahahahaaaahahaa I'm so sorry for you!  ....  But really congratulations.  Hahahahaaaaaahaha good luck.  (she had her first two 18 months apart)

Ben's grandma:  You do know how that works, right?  (yes Grandma Peg, we've got it narrowed down to a few possibilities)

Calla's mom:  Are there really two lines?  Really?  (if you cross your eyes and squint, I guess you could pretend it was one)

Calla's dad:  Say waaaaaat?  (I said you should probably come visit before there's a SECOND BABY)

~~~
Moss's reaction:
I got a new shirt, yay!

I get to hold a piece of paper, yay!

I'm so going to bite this.

Yeah he actually took a bite.


1 comment: