Monday, December 30, 2013

Baby Bug's First Christmas

What a treat to stay put this month.  It was restorative, almost luxurious.  No airports, no packing, no fiddling with time zones, no immune threats, no extra expenses.  But sadly also no grandparents, no getting off the housework hook, no nostalgic shivers of Christmas past.  I have a fantasy where my home and my family are both within reach on the same day, but the absence of this is an unfortunate side effect of the unique opportunities we've all used to build our wonderful lives, so I can't complain too loudly.  And anyway, I'm obsessed with this miraculous new family subset of my own right now.

The fun never stops

Oh Mossie, look at the nice orname --

Nonononononooooooo! How are you so FAST?

First Beco back carry.

Everyone is pleased.

And a little amazed.

Yes Moss, you fit in your stocking, but that's because I made your stocking comically large.

And anyway it's nice to inaugurate our own family Christmas traditions, so Moss will be able to have his nostalgic shivers someday.  Roast chicken (and the ensuing bone brothy goodness), charcuterie/relish plates, bacon and eggs, and roasty toasty vegetables are the food traditions so far.  Chocolate oranges, Pez, boxer shorts, socks and pajamas are the stocking traditions (albeit modified in age-appropriate ways moving forward).  A Christmas family hike is a fantastic idea (although it will be more fun when I'm in better enough shape to make it to the end...), and a close second for my favorite Trofatter family Christmas tradition.


The only flat part of the entire hike, the first 0.3 miles.  I'm apparently not quite ready for 5 miles of an UNRELENTING 12% grade.

But my absolute favorite new custom is that every year we'll be crafting family ornaments.  This year Ben went all out with the paper mache, and I managed to contribute some wee little knitwear.

 Mousie Mossie, Subi Snowman, Aoro Soldier, Mama and Papa Claus

 Due to knitting error, Mousie Mossie has a proper Scottish Tam o'Shanter instead of a normal hat...

Subi Snowman is the least involved paper mache-wise, but that scarf was an epic adventure in knitting cotton thread...

Aoro Soldier doesn't have knitwear, but he has awesome brasswear, and his mutton chops keep him warm anyway

Mama Claus and her dishtowel kerchief bonnet thingie

And sooty Papa Claus doesn't have knitwear either.  Might try to add a macrame little holly leaf, if I feel like learning macrame by attempting to fashion a tiny pain in the butt holly leaf...

And of course Moss is just swimming in loot.  I'm missing photos of him with his new favorite stacking cups from Gramimi, and a few additional outfits from Gigi and MimiT (to be rectified next week), but here's the bulk of the rest of the haul:

I don't know why people even bother making baby hoodies without adorable animal ears...

Nor why they bother making baby pants without animal face butts.  I rest my case.

Nice.  Thank you Gigi!

Candy cane Moss, courtesy of Gigi

It is approaching impossible to take a non-blurry Moss pic.

And when I get close, there's a blurry Aoro in it.  Can't win.

Jailbird Moss, from stripe-loving Gigi.  This thing is completely knit, and is pretty much the cutest thing I've ever seen.  However, the person who designed its tiny adorable buttons closing the legs will die and go to a circle of hell where you have to repeatedly take this garment on and off of squirmy 5-month-olds forever.

Kimono-gnome Mossie in our new jogging stroller!

Jogging with Mommy = win!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart and the heart of my bottom, MimiT, Mike and Pete!

Annie created the Animal of the Month club for Moss, and he got this magnificent moose butt to start.

 He is a fan.  It suspiciously resembles an Aoro toy, though, so Mama vigilance is high...  For a slightly better view of this noble creature's non-butt areas, refer to the candy cane Moss and the reindeer Moss butt photos above.  Butts are cute.  QED

A Moss rocket from Uncle Pete and Auntie Anna.  

Do I like it?  Well I don't know yet, hold your horses.  Important question: can I eat it?

Okay then yes.  Yes I like it.

Plus there were some Mom and Dad presents, like a Totoro,

some of those brilliant bibs that catch all the food for re-offering dropped food and not making your dogs obese,

and sippy cups for delicious water and juice,

and a silly monkey cloth with 2 dozen tags.

Next week there will also be photographic documentation of the excellent and visually interesting wooden teether from Dad and the various long-sleeved onesies from Mom.

A pretty decent Christmas, and yet it pales in comparison with Christmases to come, I'm sure.  But in the end I'm pleased with our restraint this time, and despite the moderate consumerism I think we demonstrated an acceptable ability to balance stuff with doing.  Huzzah.

No comments:

Post a Comment