You are three months old. Not a newborn, an infant. No more cradle cap, no more projectile vomit leading to 13 outfit changes per day, no more grasping reflex, no more hufflegrunting. No longer does it sound right to describe you as 91 days old, or 13 weeks old -- you are three months old. And you are so different! Every day different.
This past week you have really devoted a lot of developmental effort to grabbing, and as of today you can grab onto anything you want to. Nothing as coordinated as a reach-and-grasp, mind you, more of a flaily swipe with a closing fist, but you're definitely on to something. This is such a huge change from your passive appreciation of objects that floated past your field of vision. Last week toys seemed pointless to have around, but this week it's like playing with toys is your job and you're a workaholic. It's a big deal, your biggest leap since smiling, and it's really quite a lovely thing to watch and help you practice interacting with "stuff". Mostly you don't need my help though, you just grab at everything you see.
Aaaaaand put it in your mouth.
Daddy's beard, my water glass, the laptop cord, my hair, our glasses, your own clothes, the strap of the camera when I forget to put it around my neck, the tube of the snot sucker (your new hatest thing), any other object in the trajectory of your constantly active arms. Like your googoo bunny.
Oh you and your googoo bunny.
I just learned about transitional objects this week, and that it was probably the right time to introduce one. I started experimenting with a few different things -- your Grammy blanket, a soft floppy puppy, one of your muslin blankets, and one of the first gifts you ever received: a bunny lovie from Daddy's work. It's a soft little bamboo terrycloth blanket with a plush bunny head sewn into the middle, and it has a little Google logo embroidered onto one corner. I asked your dad if he had any preference for which thing we'd ultimately choose, he said he didn't really care as long as it ideally wasn't "the weird bunny octopus canopy thing that is prominently branded with my company logo". You obviously heard him say this and decided to play a joke on him, because pretty much the next day you made it very clear that this bunny lovie is your favorite thing ever in the history of things. Sure you'll swipe at everything around you, and grab onto things and hold them for a minute, but this bunny. Oh this bunny.
You see it out of the corner of your eye and twist and writhe until you have your face pointed at it and stare for minutes and minutes. When I make it give you kisses you shriek with laughter. When I swish it past your face you coo like an extroverted dove. And you'll hold onto it and push on it and gum it and flop it around and press it between your hands and gaze at it lovingly and catch your fingers on its ribbon and it makes Daddy sigh. Oh well, I figure this the first of countless times you'll make a choice for yourself that your dad might make differently, and I say it's great practice for him to tolerate your obsession with the googoo bunny before we move on to bigger things (whatever the pogs or pokemon of your generation will be? crappy music? hair color? lame girlfriend? tattoo?). I'm sure we'll think fondly back upon your first bad choice, the googoo bunny choice.
This week you and Dad and I were so so sick. The crummy crap we were fighting off for all of October finally won and it broke. my. heart. No fever, but you are so stuffed up with sticky crap that makes you cough and sniff and cry. The doctor said that for the first few days to prevent infection, we should use saline and suction every hour, even overnight, so that's been a fun adventure. And sadly, this is why we have almost no pictures of you this week, since we were all gunking up tissues and groaning pitifully under the covers for 4 or 5 days.
But you are brave and resilient, and even though you probably felt as icky as I did, you found some good moods in there somewhere.
Since I was so astonishingly accurate with my predictions last time (you were indeed a tiny, early boy who took his time coming out http://babybugtrofatter.blogspot.com/2013/07/some-hunches_6.html), I present to you some more hunches:
You will be left-handed. I know it's way too early to tell, but I've thought this since before you were born. If you were positioned the way the midwives said you were, you punched me always with your left hand, never your right. Once you were here, you found your left hand first, you prefer to grab at things on your left side, you fling the snot sucker away from your head using your left hand, and you selectively chew on your left hand more than 50% of the time. Your dad and I are both right-handed, but your Grandaddy Roush is a leftie, so we'll see.
You will have green eyes. This was on my list of hunches earlier, but it's still too early to tell where your eyes will settle. It's possible they'll end up more hazel like Daddy's, but as of now they already have a kiss of green, and in the sun they shine a golden green.
You will be quiet and contemplative, probably shy. I would never try to push your personality one way or another, nor would I be disappointed if my predictions are wrong, but just based on your early temperament and what I know about you now, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a watcher, an introvert, a sweet, sensitive, laid-back little boy.
Moss, you are the bee's knees. Thanks for being you.
~~~
Vital stats:
14.4 pounds, 22.5 inches long. Three predictable 60-90 minute naps (~9:30, ~1:30 and ~5:30) and a semi-predictable bedtime. (!) You're out for good from ~10:30 until ~7, with 2-3 short sleep-meals in between (you're very good about falling back asleep easily, so these are a breeze).
Stuff you do that's new:
- The grabbing and munching of toys is the big news these days. So fun.
- Push-ups during tummy time. You can almost get your whole rib cage off the floor, and turn your head a little before you get tired and lie back down.
- Hand chewing. Shoving your hands into your mouth like you're a finalist in the how-many-fingers-can-I-get-in-my-mouth-at-once game. You even gave yourself a sucker bite on your arm once when you missed your hand.
- Hip rocking. No rolling yet, but when you're on your back, you rock your hips from side to side until your legs are almost twisted to the opposite position of your torso. You just haven't quite figured out that your torso can twist too.
- Laugh at tickles. OMG this is excellent. Keep it up.
- Not hate the car seat! This is a direct repercussion of you learning that your hands can do things and a huge relief for us all. Although you do still overheat in it pretty easily, so sometimes you're cranky if we don't blast the AC.
Likes: nursing, googoo bunny, hand 1 and hand 2, looking in the mirror, sleeping, being outside, the forest wrap, story time, bath time, diaper time, play time, tummy time, really all time (as long as it isn't getting snot sucked out of your nose time or trying to fall asleep without nursing time).
Dislikes: being sick, THE EVIL SNOT SUCKER OF DOOM, pacifiers, sudden loud noises, clean neck folds (still)
No comments:
Post a Comment