-19 WEEKS
Over the course of becoming someone ready to have a baby, I've heard a
lot of opinions and facts about what being pregnant is like, and so far
each little thing is being substantiated one by one. On the good side,
there's enhanced body image, feeling kicks, vivid dreams, increased
body awareness, not having to lift heavy things, maternity pillows, no
period, glossy hair, water tasting extra good, a very zoomed out
perspective on life, etc. And on the not as good side, there's mood
swings, sore gums, no warning about needing to pee, fatigue,
immunosuppression, morning sickness, runny nose, fatigue, weird skin
stuff, shortness of breath, fatigue, "pregnancy brain", fatigue etc.
So
before this even started, I had a pretty comprehensive schema in my
head about what it was going to be like. And so far, indeed each
individual piece is coming into focus. I simply had never thought about
what it would be like to feel every single piece ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
It's not episodic, where for a while I'm extra tired, then that stops
while my teeth hurt for a while, then that stops so I can forget the
word for what my dissertation is about during a meeting with my
advisor. And for some reason I've spent my adult life accidentally
imagining that's how it would be, without realizing how little sense
that makes. Since that's not how real life actually works, and even
though the properties of an event certainly are isolated if you think
about each one in turn in an abstract sense, I'm totally overwhelmed by
the relentless co-existence of all the new body/mind stuff all at once.
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this crazy thing, but I have zero
spare resources of any kind, which is unusual for me and unexpected.
Let's
just say I never imagined being awakened from a weirdly vivid dream by a
coughing fit that makes me pee a little while a baby kicks my kidney
from the inside, so I try to get up to pee and realize I'm too tired to
stand up, except I already slept in 2 hours later than I meant to, plus
my lips are glued to my gums and I can't remember whether it's Sunday or
Wednesday and that makes me start sobbing hysterically. I'm certain
Ben will be glad when I arrive and love being part of everything, but I
imagine he will also realize some unexpected nostalgia and a retroactive
appreciation for his 10 weeks of alone time.
turning food into a human being sounds like hard work!
ReplyDelete